Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses bicycles to patrol, as weather permits in spring and summer seasons.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Virtually all of the center’s trash is recycled or it goes to an energy COGEN plant.
- We’ve installed solar film on sections of the skylights.
- Our new Restrooms have automated faucets, toilets and waterless urinals.
- The Lower Level restroom has motion sensor lighting.
- During the expansion, a drain water purification system was installed.
- We’ve converted all interior lighting to energy efficient and green lighting during renovation and expansion.
- Housekeeping and Landscaping uses green and pesticide-free products.
- We encourage retailers to turn off all but emergency lighting during non-business hours.
- In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, fuel cells were installed. The fuel cells convert natural gas to clean, renewable energy without emitting greenhouse gases!
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building