Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Freehold Raceway Mall
- Our Security Staff uses bicycles to patrol, as weather permits in spring and summer seasons.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Virtually all of the center’s trash is recycled or it goes to an energy COGEN plant.
- We’ve installed solar film on sections of the skylights.
- Our new Restrooms have automated faucets, toilets and waterless urinals.
- The Lower Level restroom has motion sensor lighting.
- During the expansion, a drain water purification system was installed.
- We’ve converted all interior lighting to energy efficient and green lighting during renovation and expansion.
- Housekeeping and Landscaping uses green and pesticide-free products.
- We encourage retailers to turn off all but emergency lighting during non-business hours.
- In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, fuel cells were installed. The fuel cells convert natural gas to clean, renewable energy without emitting greenhouse gases!
- Electrify America's ultra-fast electric vehicle (EV) charging stations are located in mall parking lot.